Friday, January 20, 2006

About Music And Singing






Currently Listening
dp
by Daniel Powter



Ever since I was a very young boy singing just came into my blood naturally...coming from a very musically inclined family dating back from my great grand papa...but the most unfortunate thing is I never got to learn to play music at my young and innocent years as a boy...but that did not stop me from singing...I still remember when I was at the tender age of seven I was singing in a Sunday School Party back when I was in Penang...going for practise three times a week and all...then as I grew older the pop culture sipped into my blood singing song from the then

New Kids On The Block

Man... they were the hottest boy band back in the 80's....I remember I sang their songs everywhere and all time and I couldn't care what others was thinking bout me...How innocent and how silly I was hehehe...I remember I could every song they ever made a hit with...

Then when I moved to KL, my taste in music seems to grow bigger in terms of genre...I was into rap..and artist like Vanilla Ice and MC Hammer was really the inspiration for me back in the 90's. Everyday without fail I would memorize the infamous Ice Ice Baby and Hammertime (or whatever it is titled)...I remember I could even do the dance Vanilla Ice did...well learnt a little freestyle dancing as well...self taught that is..

I remember my dad came up to me asked me whether Ii wanted to learn to play music and finally my wish came through..though wish it would come much much earlier...so my dad enrolled me to music class once a week..but it felt kinda weird learning music at the age of 15..I'm talking bout Grade 1 Piano okie...this is something which well not a very pretty sight...I remember going to the Grade 1 exam...I was the only big buffalo there sitting with the kids doing the exam...I remember the look on the face of the examiner..well you would figured it yourself by now...and I passed...which really got a morale boost and prompt me to practise more and more... and my teacher was really really patient with me...of course being a lazy person back then practise was like rare...and when I told her I did not practise, she did not jump just asked why and that's just it...

So every week as I go for piano class, somehow the power of the drumset pulled me to play some which i sucked at first, then slowly but surely after listening to a lot of rock music and a lot of air drumming which I enjoyed most with some friends in school..I finally managed to play some basic self taught drumming..and everyweek from then on I practised my drumming..even more comparing to the piano..and soon I found myself playing drums for church ( was the only person who can the drums back then, amateur level)...so now at the same time, as my love for drumming grew stronger, a new love was blossoming, yeap...the love for guitars...again self taught and soon found myself playing a lot a lot of songs...

Finally my wish of playing music came through and I am still playing, though not as muchas it is suppose to be..haven't had that drive to play regularly for a long time. Maybe I should start getting back that 'fire' to play and prolly look for people to jam with...

Through the years.. I listen to practically all sorts of music you can ever find..from heavy metal to classic rock, to classical music, to hip hop, to alternative, R&B, jazz, even the evergreens...You can pratically find the many genres of music in my home alone...My influence on music I would say would have to come from home. There is just simply too many types you can hear under one roof

I really thank my family for bringing music into my life. They have been a big inspiration for me by bringing people like Deep Purple, The Beatles, Vivaldi, Mozart, The Carpentars, Jay Chou, David Tao, and the many more singers out there that have some how made my family a musical family. I would never trade this for anything else in the music world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home