Friday, March 10, 2006

A Fortnight Passed By and...











Currently Listening To
Relight

by Ananda Project


It has been three weeks since I last blog. I got a reader kept asking me 'When are you ever gonna update your blog?'. Sorry lar...just that I can't seem to find time to write spectacularly this whole week. So here I am, finally, got a chance to sit down and actually write. Forgive me please if I've kept you waiting ya...

The first day at a new workplace is always the most boring day in everybody's career. Not only the superiors are not able to give some responsibilites to you but you are to sit somewhere in the office waiting for the time to pass by. This happened to me, my first day went like this :

I got in early, first day impression kinda thing, sat at the lounge area for like an hour. After an hour or two, I was formally introduced to the staff. Well most of them I knew, because i worked with this company before. So the senior staff are not new to me but most of the assistants (normally we call them "The Boys" picture on the left) are new. They have not prepared my working space yet. Well can't blame them anyway, advertising..blame it on advertising. So I was just walking around getting to know everyone and catching up with the senior staff. So after a brief discussion with "The Old Man" (my boss) and "Tai Ka Cher" (my superior) about my role in the company, my job responsiblities and a few projects handed to me, again I am back to square one, doing nothing but sitting around waiting for time to go home.Oh yes, in between I decided to study the portfolio as my job requires me to sell them during my visits to client's office. So thats it, my first day.

They finally managed to get me a place. All my life I never had a room of my own to work in. At last I got one, so I thought 'Hey cool!! My own room.' bu to my dismay the room is totally bare. Empty, nothing, zilch. No carpets, no cupboards, no sofas, no curtains. Just a table and a fone. So slowly i went searching for stuff like a PC and a chair. Took me half a day just to have a proper table with a proper PC to work with. The lucky thing is I have air-conditioning in my room. So finally I got my pc, turned it on and to my disgust, it's a Pentium !!! with 300 plus Memory Ram and...AND....the blardie comp is running on WINDOWS 98...yes... WINDOWS 98. It's got all the necessary devices and hardwares but no speakers. Imagine how bored I was without music for a whole 3 days. I was relying on my faithful Motorola E398 for some music. Thank God for Music Fones. Finally got one of "The Boys" to find a pair of working speakers, downloaded my MP3 collection into the comp and voila!! boredom gone.

Finally I get to attend my first shoot. the only setback is that I have to get to the office at 4.30am, but all is good as I am already used to working this early in the morning. Travelled all the way to a padi farm in Sekinchang with a lousy driver who doesn't even know how to get there. Jeez I could not sleep all the way there just to direct him. It felt really weird while shooting. It's because I am so used to be part of the Shooting Crew. The idea of standing there watching everyone do their work and PRing with the client, just makes me feel really awkward. I guess it's time for me to get used to the idea of me not having to do any of those "hard labour". Though sometimes old habit just doesn't go away, somehow I still find myself helping out the photographer with directing the 'talents' and sometimes just adjusting the light. Gosh I am gonna miss all of that.

So there you go, the first week of my new job.Has got it's interesting and boring hours.I leave you now with an image of how the exterior of the office though it has never changed the day I left the company 3 years ago until now. Do not fret..there will more stories to come in the near future. Just hold your horses....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home